Thursday, January 12, 2012

Verse for Today - Psalm 118:5-6 (click to read mini-blog)

 "I called on the LORD in distress; the LORD answered me and set me in a broad place. The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

Read all of Psalm 118

Psalm 118 is a Psalm of distinction for a number of reasons.  

1. It's overall message and theme are edifying and encouraging.  The first and last verse of the Psalm urge us to "Give thanks to the Lord; for His mercy endures forever."

2. It is located between the shortest and the longest Psalms, #117 and #119.

3. More than this (and I'm relying on an article I once read), Psalm 118 is said to be middle chapter of the Bible.  Incidentally, this is why if you take your bible in hand and open it to the middle, you will probably open to one of the 150 Psalms. 
 
4. The Psalm progresses from the writer's personal experience of deliverance (vss. 5,6), to the Messianic expectation of Christ and His ultimate victory over all his enemies (and ours) (vss. 21-28)... esp. verses 22,23 and 26:

22 The stone which the builders rejected
         Has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This was the LORD’s doing;
         It is marvelous in our eyes.

26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!
         We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment