Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Verse for Today - I Corinthians 13:1-3 (Click to read mini blog)

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

Read all of 1 Corinthians 13

These verses are beautiful, as is the chapter as a whole.  The Apostle Paul is describing the necessity, nature and value of LOVE.  In these first three verses he mentions several acts of piety and religious zeal, but indicates that the essential element is love.  So much is this the case, that if any or all of these things are done without love, they lack any value or worth.

The Corinthians were contentious.  They sought to build up their own esteem and importance.  The Apostle had spent most of chapter 12 admonishing them regarding spiritual gifts and how they were to use them for the benefit of others.  When he comes to this chapter, he extols the virtue of love.  He describes how love acts, what it looks like, how a person with love thinks and treats others.

Of course one of the important points in this chapter is that reveals the nature and character of God and His love... and of course how we should love each another. In John 15:2 Jesus said,

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." 

Think about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment