Thursday, April 12, 2012

Verse for Today - Luke 9:23-24 (click to read mini-Blog)

"Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.""

Read all of Luke 9

I once read a sermon by Charles Wesley on this verse.  Something he said struck me.  He posed the question why so few sermons are preached on this verse or those like it?   I guess my first thought is because this is is not a very popular concept.  It involves work and self-discipline.

In a culture where you can believe what you like and do whatever you feel like, these verses are pretty contrary.  And yet, they may be exactly what has to be heard.

Deny yourself, take up your cross daily and follow me are such clear and uncompromising commands.  Maybe we don't really have to keep these exhortations. 

[collective sigh of relief]  

 After all, did you notice how the first part of the verse begins?  It says "Whoever wants to be my disciple...."   So here's the deal, you don't have to deny yourself... you don't have to take up your cross daily... and you don't have to follow Christ... UNLESS... (and here's the tricky part) unless you want to be His disciple. 

Something to think about.  How are you going to follow Christ?

1 comment: