Friday, December 9, 2011

Verse for Today Blog - John 10:7, 9-10 (click to read more)

John 10:7, 9-10
"Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Read all of John 10

In these verse Jesus is defending himself and his ministry from the Jewish leaders of his day.  In John 9 a conflict had arisen about the healing of the man born blind.  In chapter 10 Jesus is using the imagery of a sheep and shepherd to show the relationship between his ministry and his people.  

Whenever we hear Jesus saying, "Very truly" or as the KJV says, "Verily, Verily," it is an affirmation of extreme--utter--importance.  The point is Jesus alone is the "gate for the sheep."  If any would enter into a living relation with the True and Living God, it can come only through Christ.  

This reality is then contrasted with the work of the Evil One and his false teacher.  They come not to help, save and serve the sheep, but to "steal and kill and destroy."  Jesus then follows this up with some of the most beautiful words in Scripture: "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

As Jesus spoke these words, he revealed the intention of his work.  To provide life and fullness of life to those who would come to God through Him.  If we have Christ and He has us, we are saved to the uttermost through Him.  Hebrews 7:25 says, ""Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them."

What a great comfort!  Jesus makes very clear what he means by this later John 10:27-29
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.  My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment