- PDF copies of Sunday Bulletins... usually posted Saturday Afternoon
- MP3 (audio) files of Sunday Sermons (usually uploaded on Tuesday)
- Live Stream of our Sunday Worship Services
- Announcements and Calendar of Upcoming Events (monthly)
- Links to our Creeds and Confessions (it's what we believe)
- If you've received a forwarded copy of this email and would like to receive this "Verse for Today" reply to Pastor Randy. If you're receiving it and world rather not, just let me know.
Saturday, December 17, 2011
Verse for Today - Luke 26-28 (click to read)
"Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”
Read all of Luke 1
This begins Luke's account of the conversation between the virgin Mary and the Angel Gabriel. The account is set in history by the sixth month, which might be the 6th month in the calendar or as we learn in verse 36, the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy.
We're told relatively few things. The angel's name, Gabriel, the woman's name, Mary. That she was betrothed (promised to be married) to Joseph, who was of the house or lineage of King David.
What follows is his words of greeting. She is urged to rejoice as one highly favored, blessed among women. If we would stop there, some confusion would remain. In fact, Mary's response is just that. She is puzzled or as the text says troubled at his words.
He then explains that she will give birth to the promised Messiah:
"And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."
For additional resources see our website at NorthlandReformed.org