Sunday, December 11, 2011

Verse for Today Blog John 15:5,8 (click to read)

John 15:5,8

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

Read all of John 15 

Another favorite chapter.  Jesus is speaking to his disciples and showing them that close and spiritual connection that exists between themselves and Him.  He is the Vine, we are the branches.  Just think for a moment of the analogy.  Does a branch have life in itself?  Of course not.  In order for a vine to have life it must be engrafted into the living organism... the Vine.  

In this passage Jesus speaks of branches that will pruned off and cast into the fire.  These were unfruitful branches.  The application to us is pretty clear.  We need to abide in the Vine.  It is then that Christ's life will dwell in us and we will grow and become fruitful.  I'm reminded of Heidelberg Catechism QA 20 "Are all men, then, saved by Christ as they have perished in Adam?  NO, only those who by true faith are engrafted into Him and receive all His benefits.

It seems pretty clear that fruitfulness is pretty important to Christ and to God the Father.  As verse 8 concludes:

"This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."


P.S. You Might have noticed that a page was added this week to our church website.   "Roadside Banners"
                                                                                                                                                     (click)
You also get there from our front page @  www.northlandreformed.org

No comments:

Post a Comment